Sunday, August 12, 2012

Some Interesting Facts about the Chickens We Love!

Taylor and Ian, Nugget rides in the Wagon


So last night I was way to excited to sleep because I just posted our first CONTEST!! Yay! I was just browsing around the internet and I came across some really cool facts about Chickens! Some made me go "what?" and others I was laughing at. I had to share them. I hope everyone is having a great day! Enjoy!

A chicken's heart beats 300 times a minute (about 4-5 times more than a human).
Arkansas produced over 1.1 billion broilers in 2006 which averages about 422 broilers for each Arkansan.
The record for multiple egg yolks in one egg is nine.
On average, a hen lays 300 eggs per year.
A mother hen turns her egg approximately 50 times in a day. This is so the yolk does not stick to the shell.
To produce a dozen eggs, a hen has to eat about four pounds of feed.
The largest chicken egg ever laid weighed a pound and had a double yolk and shell.
A chicken with red earlobes will produce brown eggs, and a chicken with white earlobes will produce white eggs.
A chicken is 75% water.
In the U.S., approximately 46% of the chicken that is eaten by people comes from restaurants or other food outlets.
Hens will produce larger eggs as they grow older.
A chicken loses its feathers when it becomes stressed.
A chicken once had its head cut off and survived for over eighteen months, headless.


I personally like the chickens to have heads when they roam my yard and im pretty sure that my 74 yr old neighbor enjoys that they arent headless too. 

Has anyone ever found more than 2 yolks in any of their eggs? I would love to hear about it!

Talk to you soon! 
~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment